Two months before the move
- Start sorting belongs into what to keep and what to donate piles.
- Research moving companies Make sure to request on-site estimates from at least three companies.
- Create a moving binder that will be a one-stop source for estimates, receipts and a moving inventory.
- If switching school districts, arrange for records to be transferred to the new school(s).
Six weeks before the move
- Order the boxes, tape, bubble wrap and other needed supplies.
- Start using up frozen foods, cleaning supplies and other items that might not be able to be moved, especially on a long-distance relocation.
- Arrange for temporary storage of items, if needed.
One month before the move
- Choose the mover and confirm arrangements.
- Start packing infrequently used items and clearly label and number each box with its contents and the intended room.
- Put jewelry and important files in a safe box that will be personally moved. Include the movers estimate in this box; it will be needed on moving day.
- Set a box aside that will be filled with items needed on moving day, such as tools, small parts from furniture, etc.
- Fill out a change of address form either online at usps.gov, at the post office or request one from your postman.
- Alert magazines, newspapers, employers, banks, credit card companies, utility companies and insurers about the move.
- If necessary, forward medical and dental records to new health care providers or pick up copies.
- Return borrowed items and collect things that have been loaned out.
Two weeks before the move
- Request time off from work.
- Close out safety deposit boxes if changing banks.
- Reconfirm arrangements with the moving company.
- Discard any flammables such as paint, propane, gas, etc.
- Arrange a babysitter or move assistant to help with the kids (if you have them).
One week before the move
- Refill prescriptions or switch to a pharmacy close to your new home.
- Finish general packing a few days before the moving date and then pack suitcases with enough clothes to wear for several days.
A few days before the move
- Empty and clean the refrigerator.
- Again reconfirm with the moving company, providing exact, written directions for the new home. Include contact information.
- Plan for payment to the moving company. Remember to have cash on hand for tips.
A few days before the move
- Remove bedding and take beds apart.
- Walk the movers through the home to show them everything that needs to be moved.
- Write a note for the new residents leaving a forwarding address and other contact information.
- Before the moving truck pulls out, do one last walk-through of the home to make sure everything has been loaded.
- Before the movers leave, sign the bill of lading/inventory list and keep a copy for your records.