Our New Home Construction Process
Are you ready to build the home of your dreams? DreamTech Homes is your premier source for completely custom new home construction services in the Houston, Conroe, Katy, Magnolia, and Spring, TX areas. Our expert team will follow your vision and guidance every step of the way, from initial designs to finishing touches, to ensure your complete satisfaction. While you choose the signature styles and features of your new home, you’ll also get to enjoy all the benefits of our trusted new home construction process. This is intended to deliver the highest quality product throughout each phase of building. Learn more below about our standards for foundations, green building, energy efficiency, air quality, QC inspections, and more, then contact us to get started on your new home construction!
A Foundation built to the highest standards
DreamTech Homes is proud of our zero defect history on foundations. With the foundation being the most important part of your home, we go to great lengths to ensure that the foundation is done right and designed to last.
Our first step is to obtain a soils report on your site by an independent licensed geotechnical engineer. These professional engineers provide a detailed report on the condition of the existing soils, including their expansiveness, bearing capacity, and the potential for shifting. This soils report is used by the independent licensed structural engineer who designs the foundation specifically to your site conditions. When the lot is cleared, our clearing contractor removes tree roots from the building area and builds the home site building pad using a compaction process. The geotechnical engineer then inspects the pad site to ensure that the pad has been compacted properly. During the foundation installation, the independent licensed structural engineer who designed the foundation inspects the foundation on site 3-4 times to confirm the foundation has been prepared in strict conformity to the engineer’s design. This engineer then oversees the installation of the concrete on the pour date. Even samples of the concrete are tested for moisture content and correct PSI levels. With our exceedingly high standards of quality control, it is no wonder we have a zero defect history on our foundations, which very few builders can claim.
After the foundation has passed all three stringent inspections, the structural engineer issues a certification stating that the foundation was installed in strict conformity to the structural engineer’s design.
Efficient Green Building
Our commitment to environmentally-friendly construction helps us to preserve the environment and our future and children’s future. At DreamTech Homes, we can build a 100% green home utilizing everything from solar power to recycled wood flooring, but some of these choices do not always make economic sense, or else they have a payback that can take 10-20 years. So, we’ve chosen to take a more balanced, cost-effective approach that blends quality design and construction with eco-friendly products and building methods; we call it Efficient Green Building.
Your new home is built in a way that uses less energy and produces a cleaner and healthier indoor environment for you.
The Building Envelope
- High-Efficiency Insulation and Windows: Our fiberglass R-15 exterior walls, R-38 attic insulation, and radiant barrier roof decking reduce summer heat gain as well as winter heat loss, and also improve energy efficiency. The low-E3 vinyl windows reflect away heat radiation in summer and retain heat in the winter. Additionally, the vinyl allows less temperature transfer compared to aluminum windows.
- Air Conditioning & Heating Systems: We use R410A environmentally safe liquid refrigerant and a 16 SEER AC system, paired with thermostats which adjust temperature settings, saving energy while you’re away. All of our ducts are designed and sealed using mastic for comfort and energy efficiency.
- Appliances: Our ENERGY STAR-qualified dishwashers use less energy than the federal minimum standard for energy consumption and less hot water than conventional models.
- High-Efficiency Hot Water Heating: We are proud to use On Demand Rinnai Tankless Water Heaters in every home we build and have been doing so for the last 10 years, leading our competition as a forward-thinking builder. This energy-efficient water heater supplies never-ending hot water only when you need it. Go ahead and fill up the bath tub with 80 gallons of hot water and step right into the shower after without waiting for the water heater to heat up the water. In addition to endless hot water, enjoy the savings on your gas bill not heating two or three tanked heaters 24 hours a day.
- Water Conservation: We include low-flow plumbing fixtures, including toilet, faucets and shower heads that conserve water more efficiently when compared to conventional fixtures while providing the same utility. PEX water pipes that do not have 90-degree bends allow the water to travel faster to the plumbing fixture. Additionally, you can turn off the supply of water to a single fixture without turning the water off in the whole house in case you need to service a single fixture.
- Moisture Control: DreamTech Homes’ goal is to prevent moisture entry and to provide a means of escape for moisture that does naturally enter the home, which is why we use Tyvek Stucco Wrap, a water-resistive barrier material, on all our stucco homes, and JetBackerTM, a moisture- and mold-resistant material, in all tub and shower wet-wall areas.
Indoor Air Quality
Volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and other hazardous chemicals are contained in many construction materials and furnishings, posing a risk to the home’s occupants, especially children. Today a number of low and no-VOC building materials are available, including less polluting paints, adhesives, solvents, cleaning agents, caulks, wood products, carpets, and sealants. Providing comfort indoors means addressing several key factors: proper ventilation, limiting emissions from materials used inside the home and moisture control. At DreamTech Homes, we believe in building a home that enhances people’s lives and gives them a sense of control over their own indoor experience. All interior home finishes are screened for the emission of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) such as formaldehyde and lead to ensure that your home does not produce unsafe indoor air quality.
Below is a list of the products we use containing low or no VOCs:
- Flooring Adhesives
- And more…
It’s essential that kitchen cooking odors and harmful airborne grease along with moisture from bathrooms are properly removed from the indoor environment. To provide for the removal of these indoor pollutants, we install exterior venting for the kitchen hood vent and all bath exhaust vents. An effective air filtration system is critical to maintaining proper indoor air quality. The system we install in your new home creates an indoor environment with less dust and fewer odors thereby helping to reduce potential health risks.
Below are the key components that contribute to better indoor air quality:
- Media filters
- Fresh air intakes
- 80 CFM minimum bath fans
- Return air vents (all major areas)
- Customized HVAC unit and duct sizing based on the number of windows and size of the home;
- A programmable thermostat to keep Houston humidity under control;
- Roof ridge and soffit ventilation to keep the attic well-ventilated, meaning your home is more comfortable in the summer and guarded against moist air building up in the winter;
- A 16 SEER A/C system that not only requires less energy to run but is quieter than systems with a lower Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio;
- R-38 attic and R15 wall insulation that creates a barrier between outdoor and indoor air temperatures, providing some of the greatest energy savings in a home
- Breathe easier knowing your home is outfitted with mechanically controlled fresh air intakes that are filtered through pleated high-performance MERV air filters.
And as an extra measure to ensure quality, each DreamTech Home undergoes a thermal bypass inspection, including a visual third-party review of framing areas where air barriers are commonly missed and inspection of the insulation to ensure proper alignment with the air barriers. This extra check makes sure air and thermal barriers are continuous and complete, which reduces outdoor air infiltration, saves you on utility costs and increases the durability of the HVAC system.
Quality Control and our Third-Party Inspection Process
At DreamTech Homes, we stand firmly by the structural integrity of every custom home we build, using stringent inspection processes by independent third-party inspectors at key construction stages to ensure nothing is overlooked or below standard. While most municipalities do not require it, DreamTech Homes has voluntarily undertaken this comprehensive inspection program to provide consistent, high-quality homes to our homeowners. The independent third-party inspector performs detailed inspections of the foundation (before and during the placement of concrete), structural framing, water intrusion (moisture prevention) and air conditioning, heating, plumbing, and electrical inspections.
- Foundation (pre-placement)
- Plumbing (grounds)
- Foundation placement
- Plumbing (rough-in)
- Electrical (rough-in)
- Final code
- Roof systems
- ENERGY STAR program compliance
- Thermal imaging infrared scans of insulation, plumbing, and electrical
Indoor Environmental Quality
- Exterior venting for kitchen and bath exhaust vents
- Air filtration system
- Moisture control
With all the pieces in place, it’s time to break ground and start building! A designated construction manager will work with you throughout the entire process, maintaining an open channel of communication with weekly progress updates.